Early Period Slavic Domestic Studies: Exploring the skill sets of homemakers during the early Slavic period

Sometimes it may seem like I'm a weaver, sometimes a spinner, sometimes a cook, sometimes a potter...the list can go on and on.  Who else can you think of that is one person but wears a whole lot of different hats every day?

The homemaker.

There is absolutely no shame in keeping a home.  Without touching on gender roles relating to certain tasks, good grief the number of things you need to know and do to survive and thrive on a daily basis is long and challenging!

I've added one more skill to learn to my list for the 2/2 Twill Project - water extraction of clay.

Why?

The loom weights I am planning to recreate are made of unfired clay in a conical shape. Probably produced on site - meaning locally rather than being a fired product or of stone. This indicates that loom weights breaking may have been a normal and expected thing and therefore minimal investment in materials was made in something that was considered a disposable item.

As soon as the weather gets consistently nicer I'll be putting some of the clay-rich soil in my back yard to use. I'm planning to replace it with some lovely organic stuff for a garden, but more on that later.